Friday, July 9, 2021

Review: Ravens & Roses- A Women's Gothic Anthology Edited by Cassandra L. Thompson


 

Ravens and Roses: A Gothic Women's Anthology is a new book out by Quill & Crow Publishing House and edited by Cassandra L. Thompson. This is the first book out by Quill & Crow Publishing House that I have read and reviewed, and I am overwhelmed by it.

When I review anthologies, there are always a few stories that do not feel strong enough to be included in that anthology. This is not the case with Ravens & Roses. Every story has been meticulously chosen by Ms. Thompson so that the book seems to flow better than most anthologies in my opinion.

A lot of writers throw the term gothic horror around loosely, but few get it right. The stories in this anthology are truly gothic horror. There are eleven stories in this anthology, along with poems interspersed among them. There are stories of ghostly hauntings, revenge, tragic love stories, and murder.

While I loved every story in the anthology, which has never happened before, I especially love the stories “Lolita” by A.L. Garcia and “The Vigilante Witch” by Tara Jazdzewski. I feel that these stories could have been full novels with more work.

All in all, this is one of my favorite anthologies that I have ever read, and I look forward to reading more work from Quill & Crow Publishing House.

5/5 Stars
I received an advance review copy for free, and I am leaving this review voluntarily.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Courtiers: Intrigue, Ambition, and the Power Players Behind the House of Windsor by Valentine Low

For its entire history, the British monarchy has relied on its trusted courtiers—the unseen advisers who handle both the forward public-faci...