Saturday, July 24, 2021

Review: The Essential Sick Stuff by Ronald Kelly


TW/CW: Child Harm/Abuse, Child Abduction, Child Death, Rape, Torture, Snakes, Spiders, Gore, Non-consensual Sexual Encounter

I am a big reader of short story collections. In a collection of a single author, you can sometimes see a range of writing styles, themes, and tropes, like trying on different hats. I have previously reviewed Irish Gothic by Ronald Kelly, a collection of different stories and folklore inspired by the home of Kelly’s ancestors. Beyond that collection, I wasn’t familiar with his writing and jumped at the chance to review The Essential Sick Stuff when it came up on NetGalley.

Growing up on 80’s slasher movies, it takes a lot to gross me out or creep me out. I read the foreword and learned the history behind the stories contained in this collection: a bunch of authors writing the sickest stuff imaginable to try to outdo the others. I was game and ready to go. And I was very wrong, Kelly’s The Essential Sick Stuff got to me.

The Essential Sick Stuff is comprised of two previous collections written by Kelly: The Sick Stuff and More Sick Stuff. This edition has the stories from those collections, along with new sick material. Some of my favorites in The Essential Sick Stuff are:

*Pins And Needles- A serial killer who kills via Halloween candy has struck again, but someone has gives him a taste of his own medicine.

*The Day UPS Brought Zombies- fun and gory story where UPS brings about a zombie apocalypse with a cameo from Brian Keene

*Snakehandler- A preacher comes to town bringing more to fear than just the snakes he handles during Sunday service.

*Suckers! - Scientist begins to experiment on local insects with dangerous results

*The Nipples in Dad’s Toolbox- A young boy helping with home repairs gets a grisly surprise that changes his life.

This collection was a wild, gory, and fun ride. I look forward to reading more of Ronald Kelly’s work in the future.  There are a lot of potential TW/CWs in this book and I attempted to note them when I found them, but what may be a trigger for me may not be for you.  


5/5 Stars

Thanks you to #NetGalley and #SilverShamrockPublishing for providing me with a copy of this book to read and review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Courtiers: Intrigue, Ambition, and the Power Players Behind the House of Windsor by Valentine Low

For its entire history, the British monarchy has relied on its trusted courtiers—the unseen advisers who handle both the forward public-faci...